“Shirley was wonderful. I cannot praise her highly enough. She was full of insight, learner-centred in her feedback, and she offered an optional deep-dive with additional information that was targeted and exciting. She directed me to a world of other resources including blogs, matrices, q&a sessions. Coaching via email is never easy, and she handles it superbly.”
– Lisa H., Sydney, Australia*
Kicking-off Another 5-Day Session
I am excited to kick-off another 5-Day session – June 25-29 – of coaching folks and introducing (or refreshing for) them to BJ Fogg’s Tiny Habits® method. I donate my time as part of the Tiny Habits Academy , one of my favorite things to do as a certified coach – hosting Habiteers, the community for which folks are part of when they join the 5-Day.
BJ introduced me to Habiteers in January 2018. While this upcoming week is a new 5-Day session, my background remains the same. Here is an excerpt of what BJ shared about my background –
To move things forward, I want to introduce you to a fantastic coach I’ve trained in my Tiny Habits method. Her name is Shirley Rivera. (She is cc’ed on this email.)Shirley will guide you in learning Tiny Habits. Stay tuned for an email from her outlining your next steps.—
In the coming week you’ll see new videos and content I’ve created to make my method easier to learn. You’ll also benefit from Shirley’s skills in coaching and in making things fun.
About Shirley Rivera• Shirley is a June 2012 alum of my Behavior Design Boot Camp.• She was one of the first people to become a Tiny Habits® Certified Coach.• Shirley was also part of my Stanford lab’s “Design for Dance” event.
• In addition to her full-time work, Shirley coaches people every week in Tiny Habits.
This Week’s Fun and Customized Coaching
Yes, and … I strive not only to make the 5-days fun but also to customize the Habiteer’s learning and practicing experience.
What does this mean? I have learned that Habiteers have different expectations for their 5-Day experience. That said, for this coming week, I look forward to providing three levels of coaching support –
- Independent, self-paced – In addition to supporting the Habiteer’s during their daily check-ins, I reply to questions and feedback. Early on, I also will point a Habiteer to select references in BJ’s material.
- Dig in, dig deep – Every once in a while, a Habiteer chooses to engage more with me via email. By doing so, I will respond in-kind by providing more direct guidance to complement BJ’s extra credit reading and my coach message. This may result in an extra 3-7 minutes each day of reading. I serve as a Habiteer’s navigator or GPS throughout the 5-Days – suggesting tiny habit recipe options in a few ways –
- Habit Deconstruct – For each tiny habit, I offer what I call my “habit deconstruct”, more considerations for further refinement.
- Reinforcing, Revising, Refining – Depending on how the Habiteer is adapting to BJ’s Tiny Habits method, I customize feedback not only for a habit but also for the further understanding of BJ’s teachings.
- The Behavior Designer in Me – Also trained by BJ during his boot camp, I may find myself providing some behavior design-based ideas, as well as other references, as part of this deep dive.
- In-betweeners – Simply put, this is a Habiteer who engages at a level in-between the self-paced and the dig deep Habiteer. A Habiteer who liked this level of support said it encouraged them to revisit BJ’s material throughout the 5-Days, especially when redesigning their habit(s). It also helped them “connect the dots”, e.g., applying BJ’s method to design their tiny habits.
What’s the fee for digging deeper? Someone asked whether there is an added fee for a new person who wants to dig in. No, there is not. No extra fees for those new to BJ’s Tiny Habits method. None. Will there be added fees in the future? Yes, as part of my 3-week specialty coaching areas. For now? No.
Habiteers, let’s get this started!
* Habiteer during a June 2018 session.
One thought on “Meet – a Tiny Habits® Coach for June 25-29”